Saturday, July 24, 2010

Footprints in the sand


Like my experience this year photographing the moonbow, Antelope Canyon outside of page was a clamor of touristas trying to push through and past each other for the photograph. Way too many people are let into the canyon each day, and half of my two hour tour was spent waiting for other photographers and visitors to pass through. Most of the other people were polite enough when asked or if they noticed you were trying to take an image, but overall, it is a miracle anything came out while here in the canyon.


Again I ask myself if it is fair to even show images of the carved stone that don't include people. All that I leave as trace are the footprints in the sand. My friends and I who went here together all have large, noticeable footprints in all of our photographs that include the canyon floor, but I will not photoshop those shapes out. They are going to be left as what little indication I can show the crowded wonder that is Antelope Canyon. In stark contrast, I wonder what it would have been like to see this place fifty or a hundred years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment