Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Coney Island


Never has a place bounced back from an old memory, like Coney Island did for me this last weekend.  Parts are under construction, and there weren't too many people yet, but the energy was in the right place if you knew where to look for it.  

I can remember walking through in my first visits, skipping the carousel and kiddie rides for the Cyclone.  As a five year old, my Pops tried to get me to ride by lifting me to the minimum hight limit.  When I did get to ride only a few years later, I was terrified of death.  Now, there are few roller-coasters that hold a candle to the Cyclone experience (The Cyclone).


There is little I can do to justify such a place to an outsider.  This is a neighborhood, and a destination.  What kind of future does Coney Island hold?  I hope that the vision of future architects blends the old with the new, allowing hustlers and hot dog venders to create there own here, between the ocean and big city.  

No comments:

Post a Comment