Thursday, January 13, 2011

A brief history of my love for the West

South Dakota

My love for everything West was seeded at a young age, but was experienced first in a trip from Philadelphia to Seattle with a good friend, Andy Szymczak.  This 2006 journey led us to Badlands and Yellowstone National Parks, both of which are now among my favorite public lands.  These Holga photographs are part of the documentation of my initial experience with the majestic Western landscape.  It was silly of me to think there would be wide open areas, ranges of untouched wilderness for us to dirty our boots, and still I try to wrap my head around my own feelings and approach to photographing this landscape.  Do I document these spaces for their pristine beauty, the preserved features of an ancient geologic era?  Or do I allow for the power-lines, fences, man made objects, and even human visitors?

I am lucky enough to be going back again this weekend, for a short stint in the frozen caldera of Yellowstone.  Soon to come will be snow covered bison and plumes of hot white steam rising through the frigid air.  Until then, enjoy these images that sparked what may become a lifetime of documenting our public lands...


Andy in front of Grand Prismatic Spring

Somewhere in Wyoming


Thermal Pool


Badlands National Park

Al's Oasis, Andy pets bison

One of the many wonderful oddities along the trip


No comments:

Post a Comment