Tuesday, October 19, 2010

One thing I forgot I missed...

Detector

 For the entire summer I am away from the east coast, lucky enough to be traveling for work, but there is one thing I miss dearly in those sweltering weeks.  All summer I am landlocked, with no chance to see the beach or the oceans.  I am enchanted by the sea.  To get there, some friends and I went down, to the end of the A, further out than Coney Island and many other of the City shore points, to the Rockaways. 

Sandcastle
We walked and found native foods, walked along the ebb and flow of the tide coming in.  I let the water flow up and over the seams of my boots, bringing some of the ocean home with me (hopefully tonight, when I get home, I can reduce the water, and make seasalt I thought to myself).  It was a reassuring feeling to see the place where ocean meets land.  I have always been enchanted by the sea, and in a way that I cannot explain, it helps me to confirm that I am not walking in a dream.  Science has not fully been able to explain the mind or consciousness, but somehow the ocean does it for me. 


Sunbather

2 comments:

  1. I hope you stopped at Rockaway Taco! If not, it's worth a trip back (I'll drive).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is closed for the season, we looked it up.

    ReplyDelete